Thursday, September 01, 2005

Who is responsible for Katrina?

I would first like to add my prayers to the millions going up around the world for those victims of Hurricane Katrina. I have family in Mississippi and had been to Biloxi before. My family is in Jackson and without power, but out of the path of devastation. My wife and I received confirmation today that the others that we knew in Biloxi area are safe, although their property probably is not. I know that many others have not yet received word, and some may never. For those I offer prayers that God would show his hand and uphold them in this time of trial.

Which leads me to a quick point. It is both sickening and sad to see people blaming Hurricane Katrina on man. Cindy Sheehan has blamed it on President Bush, and Robert Kennedy Jr., on the governor of Mississippi. Not only are these individuals trying to use a natural disaster for political gain, but they know nothing of who controls the world. It is not us, and it is not even the government. All things flow from God, for they are all under his control. There can be no real hope or comfort for those who reject God the Creator, Sustainer, and Savior. It is hard to say it better than Heidelberg Catechism #26, so why try.

What do you believe when you say: “I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth”?

That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who of nothing made heaven and earth, and all that in them is, who likewise upholds, and governs the same by His eternal counsel and providence, is for the sake of Christ, His Son, my God and my Father, in whom I do so trust as to have no doubt that He will provide me with all things necessary for body and soul; and further, that whatever evil he sends upon me in this troubled life, He will turn it to my good; for He is able to do it, being Almighty God and willing also, being a faithful Father.


An almighty faithful Father, now that is comfort. Amen.

0 Comments: