Saturday, July 02, 2005

Andrew Jackson

In honor of the upcoming 4th of July and my quest to read more biographies, I thought I would recommend to everyone The Life of Andrew Jackson, by Robert V. Remini. I had the honor of hearing Mr. Remini lecture on Andrew Jackson in college, and I have since been looking for his biography of the 7th President of the United States. The original 3 vol. Biography won the National Book Award, and is a bit to pricey for me, but I recently found the abridgement.
I enjoyed learning more about the man who did the most to shape our country. Easily the most influential President of all time, Andrew Jackson stood neither as a conservative nor a liberal making him a very interesting study. Mr. Remini does not worship Gen. Jackson and thus presents both his credentials and faults with equal clarity. Although Mr. Remini takes a few psychological guesses at the reason for religious belief in Gen. Jackson’s wife, he honestly and fairly deals with Gen. Jackson’s conversion to Christianity after his presidency. The writing style is very agreeable, and the abridgement contains more than enough information for all to learn more about the Hero of New Orleans, the 7th President of the United States, and the founder of the Democratic Party.

“Our Union it must be preserved.” – President Andrew Jackson during a toast.
“When I have suffered sufficiently the Lord will then take me to himself – but what are all my suffering compared to those of the blessed Saviour, who died upon that cursed tree for me, mine are nothing.” - President Jackson one week before his death.


This July 4th, learn more about the glorious nation in which we live. A good way to do so would be by reading this book.

0 Comments: