Friday, February 10, 2012

John Frame's The Escondido Theology - part 1

Okay, so my curiosity got the better of me, and I purchased The Escondido Theology by John Frame. Since I am sort of publicly working through the 2 Kingdoms idea and trying to figure out why 2 Kingdoms and Transformationalists seem to hate each other so much, I might as well review Frame's book as I go.

The book as a whole is set up as reviews of several books by men from Westminster Seminary California. All professors except one which is a review of former student, now blogger, Jason Stellman. You may have noticed reviews of Frame's book popping up such as this official rejection by WSC and this unofficial one by D.G. Hart Expect more. It is that kind of book.

To show how serious this fight is this book has an introduction by George Grant, a foreword by Gary DeMar, a "review" (second foreword by Andrew Sandlin, a publisher's preface and an author's preface. This book in short is a declaration of war. Frame's tone is usually rather hostile, as is Sandlin's who adds an addendum in a chapter as well as the foreword. Grant stays more positive, but this book hits hard against the Two Kingdom view. It is quite clear that Frame and the others he gathers around him do not view Two Kingdoms as something confessionally allowable as I do, and clearly not something that is Reformed or even Biblical. It is nothing more than failing to apply the Bible to life, and a stubborn refusal to develop a biblical worldview against the Bible's own pleas.

You are going to want to read this book (or at least my review) because Frame comes out swinging. While I don't always agree with Frame's criticism, it is sort of like a car wreck. You just cannot look away because you want to see what happens next. And sometimes Frame puts his finger on some very good questions and points.

Next time chapter 1!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike Horton has responded.

http://www.whitehorseinn.org/blog/2012/02/10/a-response-to-john-frames-the-escondido-theology/

Jason said...

I haven't read this book yet, I'm kind of new to Theonomy, I like Greg Bahsen's Style, and have read a few books by him. I Found this site by Googling Theonomy and Lincoln Nebraska. I saw that Lee is a pastor, I was wondering what church? My wife and I have been looking for one that does not bow to Rick Warren's heresy.
I'm starting to get more and more into Theonomy, and am trying to find a church that teaches it. If you could please have Lee contact us @ jhsif@hotmail.com