Saturday, January 29, 2005

A comment answered

Yes, I have had another comment problem. The "History Lesson" post seems to be broken, and I have no idea how to fix it. But, I was able to retrive this comment.

"What book would you recommend to study more about this area of church history? In addition, do you know if the Mercersburg Theology was at all related to the Oxford Movement in the Anglican Church? Scaff and Nevin seem to have had similar ideas to Newman and Pusey."

I am not sure if I could recommend just one book. I am of the mind that primary sources are always your best bet. So, if I were to choose one book I would recommend James I Good's "History of the Reformed Church in the United States in the 19th Century." Of course, like all good books, this one out of print. But you are in luck. The RCUS has put this book along with many others on a CD Rom as an e-book. Just call this number 605-347-5666 and ask for the James I Good Collection on CD Rom. I believe they still have this.

As for how they relate to the Anglican movement I am unsure. I have not read enough. It can be said that Pusey comes up quite a bit in the writings of Schaff, he personal does not see himself as related, but others did charge him with Puseyism. I am afraid, I do not know enough to decide who is right and who is wrong.

I do apologize for not getting this answered earlier.

3 Comments:

Andrew C. Bain said...

Hi Lee,

I don't call myself "reformed" but when Jesus Christ said “it is finished", I believe He meant it. In fact, anyone who says that the elect sinner has to meet a condition in order to be saved should take note of these biblical propositions:

1.The righteousness of God that is revealed in the gospel is His salvation of sinners based on the propitiatory sacrifice and imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ alone (Rms 3:21-4:8; 10:4; 2 Cor 5:21).

2.Those who are ignorant of the righteousness of God revealed in the gospel are going about to establish a righteousness of their own and are thus lost, no matter how zealous they are for God (Romans 10:1-3).

3.Anyone who does not abide in the doctrine of Christ is lost (2 Jn 9).

4.Anyone who speaks peace to one who brings a false gospel is lost (2 Jn 11)

Lee, I'd be interested to know what you think of our website.

OUTSIDE THE CAMP

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lee, for the historical references. What got me thinking about the connection between the Federal Vision and the Oxford Movement is that the Auburn Avenue church has just published a book on baptism that is a reprint from an Anglican priest involved with the Tractarians. Another curious item is that Auburn Ave has named their publishing house, Athanasius Press. According to Peter Toon in his book on the Evangelical reaction to the Oxford movement, John Newman's doctrine of justification was influenced by his reading of the Greek Fathers, especially Anthanasius. Anthanasius laid emphasis on the inseparable relationship between justification and regeneration; as well as "the divinisation or deification of the Christian, through baptism and the Holy Spirit." (p. 142-3, EVANGELICAL THEOLOGY 1833-1856: A RESPONSE TO TRACTARIANISM)

pdug said...

That seems a bit conspiratorial and paranoid, seeing Tractarian sympathies in the nameing of a publishing imprint as "Athanasius".

Can we stick to theological criticim in this matter?